Monday, August 19, 2013

Burden of knowledge

While returning from lab yesterday night, I was accosted by a Firefly. The first thought that occured to me on seeing the firefly was my son. What would he think when he sees a firefly for the first time? Would he be curious why its back is on fire? Would he want to know where and how that beautiful glow came from? I could then tell him how wonderful evolution is. I could tell him how nature has devised these wonderful factories in the fly's body that makes the light so that the fly could make little babies. I could probably also tell him about other such wonders like the petals of flowers or the plumage of a Peacock. Or I could just tell him how beautiful nature is. I could tell him to enjoy the beauty that surrounds him. I could tell him that it may not last for a very long time. That his father's and grandfather's generations have not been smart enough to preserve it in all its glory so it could be passed on to him. I would infact just teach him to worship and thank Mother Nature for making this planet our home. 

No comments: