Saturday, November 16, 2013

Goodbye Sachin………

Adding my 2 cents’ worth to an already over-exposed and over-discussed topic. Sachin Tendulkar in all likelihood has played is last innings in Cricket today. And have to admit whenever the Indian Cricket team takes the field next time, it will certainly feel a little different. I hate to admit it but for a very long time he was a part of my life since cricket was the only sport that I followed with any interest and Sachin was an inseparable part of the only team I supported, the national team of India. Mind you those were the days before Ganguly and Dravid and Sehwag. And much much before the IPL. He started playing for India in 1989 and it was also the year that I joined a boarding school where the first seeds of my cricket obsession were sown. To this day, the best and most memorable years of my life were those spent in that school. So my memories of Sachin are also the memories of my growing up years. I am sure this is true with most Indians of my generation. We grew up watching Sachin, adoring him for taking our favorite team to victory, singlehandedly conquering the mighty Aussies and instilling a confidence that our team too could win against any opponent. As his long and very successful career draws to a close, I feel a tinge of emotion. A string in the cord that connects to my childhood will now be broken. So thank you Sachin for being that string for this long, and goodbye. This is the last time I will curse you for getting out without scoring a century.

No comments: